Sumemrtime HVAC Care & Maintenance
Keep Your System Shining in the Summertime
Warm temperatures are around the corner - and it's important to make sure your home is ready. Being prepared can save you money. "Proper care of cooling equipment can keep
your unit running efficiently, which saves money and helps avoid costly repairs," said Tim Thorson, Lennox Industries cooling product manager. "Cooling and heating equipment
use more energy than any other appliance. This inevitably shows up every month on the energy bill, but it's important to remember that energy costs can be controlled."
Consumers play a vital role in making sure their cooling systems operate at peak performance to maximize home comfort and money savings.
The first step you should take to prepare your cooling equipment for warm weather is to schedule an annual maintenance check up to make sure your unit is running efficiently.
One of the most effective steps consumers can take to help ensure they'll get the efficiency they paid for is to contact an experienced, reputable air-conditioning contractor,
such as Airflow, to check their system's refrigerant charge and operating safety controls.
Although a qualified service technician should handle major maintenance, owners can also help keep the equipment running smoothly. Operating a dirty unit can cause unnecessary
loss of efficiency and can damage the unit. You can take the following simple steps to ensure your system is running properly:
- Trim brush and shrubbery near outdoor units to prevent airflow obstruction.
- Remove grass clippings, leaves, and other debris from the outdoor coil.
- Replace indoor unit's filter monthly.
- Reduce clutter in your attic to maintain proper ventilation and reduce the system's cooling load.
- If you're in the market for a new cooling unit, consider purchasing a high efficiency model. They can help reduce your energy costs as well as conserve our natural resources.
When selecting an air conditioner or heat pump, pay close attention to the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). This is a system for rating the efficiency of cooling equipment.
The higher the SEER, the less your unit will cost to operate. The minimum SEER rating is 10. Some units can have a SEER rating higher than 19.
- Zoning can drastically lower your heating costs. With zoning, you no longer have to pay to heat or cool areas of your home that are rarely used. You won't have to heat or cool
the whole house just to make one room comfortable. Zoning divides your home into separate comfort areas, which are heated or cooled based on your needs. Zoning is efficient, easy
to install, and flexible enough for any home.
- Programmable or setback thermostats can make a big difference in energy consumption. These thermostats deliver maximum comfort, efficiency, and energy savings. Setback
thermostats are used to achieve the temperatures you want throughout your home. For example, if you're going to be away, you can set the whole house at an energy-saving temperature
to avoid heating an empty house. If you have setback thermostats, you can program them to have your living areas comfortable when you arrive home.
Airflow can help you select the best cooling equipment for your home and help you determine potential energy saving.